Saturday, July 12, 2008

I am back!!

I drove out to Wisconsin and have been spending time with my family for the last week and half. It was a great visit and I really needed the time with them. My dad had his surgery to remove his last leg. I didn't think I would get to see him before the surgery because it was scheduled for Wednesday, July 2nd but than it was postponed because his blood sugars were up over 550. So I drove out there and got there with several days to spend with my dad before he had his surgery. He was in the hospital while they worked to get his sugars down and under control but it was still great to get to visit with him before the surgery.

He had his surgery on Sunday, July 6th at 8:00 am. The surgery went really well. I am not sure if he realized what life would be like with no legs. I know he was just glad to have it gone so that the throbbing pain he was experiencing would stop. He seemed to be a little depressed after the surgery but was recovering pretty well. He ended up getting moved down to the rehab area so he could begin working to build his arm muscles up and progress in learning to care for himself and hopefully reach his goal of going home. On Wednesday evening he ended up having another stroke and being moved back to the hospital. He is still currently in the hospital and is slowly recovering. Hopefully in a couple more days he will be moved back to the rehab part of the hospital where he can work on learning his skills.

The ultimate goal is to have him able to take care of himself and able to go home by himself in a couple of months. His doctor thinks he will be able to have prosthetics for both legs and walk without having to be in a wheel chair. We ended up moving him out of his trailer because he would not be able to get into the bedroom or bathroom with a chair at all. So if he didn't have his legs on all the time he wouldn't be able to use the restroom. We discussed it with him and decided it would be best to look for an apartment once he is ready to come home.

While I was in Wisconsin it was great to spend time with my aunts and uncles, my sister and brother and my dad. I even got to meet my nephews 3 children and hang out with my niece.

No comments: