Thursday, June 26, 2008

:( day

Well my dad still has his one leg, but only for about another week. He will be going in for surgery to remove the leg below the knee on July 6 or 7, it will depend on when they can schedule the surgery. He was going to have it removed last time he was in the hospital last week, but they ended up hearing a faint pulse right before they were going to do the operation. Of course my dad is such a smooth talker, he talked them into waiting to see if opening the vein even a little bit would save the leg. They now know that it wasn't enough to save the leg, but my dad now is to the point he knows they tried everything. He is resigned to the fact that he will be in a wheelchair now. I worry about depression after the surgery. He now talks like he will only be in the hospital a week, than in a rehab facility for a couple weeks than going home. This is so not realistic because my dad has steps to get into his house. He will have to learn to do everything without legs. I am just not sure he will even have the upper body strength to lift himself like he will need to.

I know I am probably on the opposite end of things that my dad, but I don't see him going home after the surgery. He has let himself become pretty lazy about his daily care and thus I think after this it will even become worse. Right now I am trying to figure out when the best time will be to go out and spend some time with him. I am not sure if I want to do it after the surgery or go before and than be there while he is in the hospital. I just don't know. I do know that if there is a chance he will go home we will need to do a lot of work in his house to get it organized so he will be able to get around in a wheelchair. I guess I will have to make a decision this week when I will be going out to Wisconsin.

No comments: