Saturday, May 27, 2017

Berlin

Today we got out and explored Berlin.  We hoped on the bus early and rode around to different things we really wanted to see.  We went to check point Charlie, the Berlin Wall, the sea aquarium (nothing like ours.  This was so not impressive. 
 

 We went all over the city looking at the different museums and buildings. The Stories at the Berlin Wall where amazing and heart breaking at the same time.  The Jewish holicoust memorial didn't do anything for me.  It was just a bunch of different size cement squares in rows.  I guess I was expecting something more touching with stories and pictures.  I didn't see plaques or anything, just didn't make sense to me.   This afternoon, we hoped on a boat ride in the canals and just chilled.  

 

The day was crazy as the city was swamped with people in town for the German Cup soccer "futball" match.  They sure know how to do the pregame tailgating parties.  The city set up public viewing areas around the city for people to watch the game on large screens.  There were so many people, parting all day.  It was beyond crazy, I can't imagine what it would be like if their teams were playing in the World Cup.  
 
    


 
I posted these pictures because I thought it was interesting that their water lines are run above ground in parts of the city.  These blue and pink pipes are their water they run up and over the streets are painted to fit in with the decor throughout the city.  

This trip has also made me realize how lucky we are in so many ways and take it for granted.  The cost of a postage stamp here is .90 Euros.  That would be close to a buck in dollars. 

 

No comments: